Five Ideas for a Virtual Grad Party:
The grad party doesn't make the grad, but our hearts are with the Class of 2020 who are unable to celebrate the culmination of their hard work with loved ones. We understand your disappointment. That's why we've rounded up some ideas and alternatives to an in-person celebration:
1. Send an invitation with a wish. Mail an invitation to loved ones, and enclose a "Wishes for the Graduate" card inside. Ask them to fill it out and send it back for you to collect and give the graduate! Years to come, these words will become a treasured keepsake!
2. Hold your party as a live chat on Facebook Messenger or Zoom with a virtual background. Minted has some beautiful free virtual backgrounds, perfectly-proportioned to make your party on Zoom coordinated and festive! Find instructions on how to set up and use your virtual background here. With all of your loved ones gathering in the same virtual space, this lends itself to sharing your screen to play photos from over the years and see your graduate's growth. Here are some simple instructions on sharing your screen within a Zoom event. Keep it short and sweet to hold your guests' attention.
3. Send the graduate a confettigram. Celebrations call for confetti! This is more a gift to send TO a graduate you love. Our Confettigrams are like a party you can deliver right to their mailbox! Inside the clear envelope, confetti floats around your message. The card is a fold-over for a discreet place to slip a check or cash gift for the graduate, and of course with plenty of room for you to write a longer message to wish them well!
4. Plan a drive-by parade for the graduate. We love this idea because you can see loved ones in person. Coordinate a time for loved ones to drive by, or spread it out over the course of a few hours to allow more time for visiting. Have a large table at the end of the driveway where you can have a small favor or cupcake for guests to take on the run. Have the graduate sit in a chair on the porch or driveway to welcome guests as they drive by. Participants get bonus points for decorating their cards or displaying a fun paper sign out their window!
5. Get their bucket list started. Graduation is a time to dream and set goals. With so many unknowns in the world right now and so many things being canceled, setting goals for the future can keep you focused on brighter days ahead. Our new Bucket List Journal creates a space for graduates to dream big. This isn't a planner... it's a place to list out your big goals and bucket list items, to get excited for the future, and then to journal about that experience in a keepsake that you can hang on to. What does this have to do with a grad party, you ask? Well, in addition to being a stellar gift for the graduate, a grad party is a wonderful opportunity for loved ones to contribute to that list by asking them, "What is one bucket list item you wish you had done, or would still like to do? What advice would you share with the graduate?" Collect these suggestions for the graduate so they can dream even bigger dreams. Snag one now!
On behalf of our entire team at Inklings, we want to wish the Class of 2020 all the very best. You are a strong, resilient bunch. We're cheering you on from a distance! xo